Thanks for the tip!

-Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: eric nguyen [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, December 19, 2002 8:26 PM
To: Mark W. Odette II; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: PIX and the Activation Key [7:59574]

"activation-key" commands only works with version 6.2.x or higher

 "Mark W. Odette II"  wrote:

        Depending on the version of PIX code the unit is running, you
might not
        have to do too much.

        First, go to your PIX, and issue the 'Show Version' command. If
you are
        running 6.1 or higher (I believe), you can go into config mode
and issue
        the 'activation-key' command followed by the 4 sets of
alpha-numeric
        characters. This will "install" the 3DES license on the PIX. The
        alpha-numerics you enter are not derived from the
"official-looking
        document". Rather, you are supposed to go onto the CCO site, and
under
        the PIX registration page, you will have a link for requesting
your PIX
        Activation Code. You submit the Serial Number of the PIX (found
on the
        back or bottom of the unit) and the alpha-numerics found on the
        "document". In return, you'll receive an email with the
activation
        code. That activation code is what you enter at the PIX console.

        Now, all the code acquisition process aside, if you are running
an older
        version of PIX OS, then you have to tftp the PIX OS to a tftp or
http
        server, and then pull it back from the tftp/http server while in
ROMMON
        mode. This basically is like you're installing the PIX OS. At
the end
        of the download process to the PIX, and right after you reboot
it,
        you'll be prompted to enter new activation keys. This is where
you
        enter the alpha-numerics acquired from Cisco via Email.

        Good Luck!

        -Mark