From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, December 19, 2002 7:18 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: campus LAN design w/DHCP server [7:59578]

Sorry if this is a dumb question! ;-) I want to make sure this design
will work before implementing it.

The customer has been using 192.168.168.0/24 in one small flat LAN. He
has run out of these addresses and is being hit by performance issues
related to broadcasts.

He wants to implement subnets and VLANs:

VLAN 100 192.168.168.0/24
VLAN 200 192.168.169.0/24

New design:

 Internet

     s0
  2600 router e1 --- public servers
     e0
     | dot1q trunk
   switch
VLAN 200 VLAN 100

There is just one DHCP server. It will be in VLAN 100, address
192.168.168.10. The DHCP server will have 2 scopes for the 2 subnets.

We're going to do inter-VLAN routing on the 2600 router.

Will this config work as far as DHCP is concerned?

interface ethernet 0
no ip address
interface ethernet 0.1
encapsulation dot1q  100
ip address 192.168.168.1  255.255.255.0
interface ethernet 0.2
encapsulation dot1q  200
ip address 192.168.169.1  255.255.255.0
ip helper-address 192.168.168.10

Devices in VLAN 100 will broadcast and get to the DHCP server directly.
The DHCP server is in their VLAN/subnet.

Devices in VLAN 200 will broadcast. The router will hopefully pick up
the broadcast, convert it to a unicast to the DHCP server and send it
back out e0, with the GIADDR address filled in so the server will use
the right scope.

Sounds like it should work, but for some unknown reason, I couldn't find
an example that showed this.

Thanks so much for your help. You could save my Christmas by helping me
verify (or poke holes) in this design! I just wanted to check on the
DHCP aspect at this point. I can fix up the NAT and routing. My brain
stopped working after the last egg nog, so help is needed! :-)

Priscilla