Me Morpheus wrote:

> Hello.  I am new to the list and glad I found it.  I am just
> starting out with vlans and I need some clarification.  Can
> someone clarify the following statement:
>
> I have the following layout:
>
> I have 1 DSLAM with 2 ethernet ports (UPLINK and MNGT) that are
> both going into a Cisco 2650 switch.  The switch is supposed to
> have 2 vlans, (A and B). I also have a server that is connected
> to this switch.  The requirement that was told to me was that
> the port connected to the server must be a member of both VLANs
> and traffic sent from this port must be tagged (for both
> vlans).  The port connected to the UPLINK port must be an
> untagged member of one of the VLANs.  The port connected to the
> MGMT port must be an untagged member of the other VLAN.
>
> I am interested to know about what it means to have a port be
> part of an untagged vlan and what it means to have traffic
> coming in from a port be tagged for both vlans?

Essentially you're dealing with the difference between access ports and
trunk ports.  An access port is what you would typically connect a PC to.
No VLAN tags are appended onto or inserted into the layer 2 frames.  A trunk
port would typically be found between switches or between a switch and a
router.  VLAN tags are used to differentiate the traffic.  Having said all
of that, some NICs are dot1q enabled.  That must be the case where your
server is concerned.

> Can someone answer these question and preferrably post an
> example that would show me what it means?

I can't think of any example that would be more illustrative than your own
above.  VLANs aren't terribly difficult once you get the basics.  But
keeping in mind where the traffic jumps layers will be critical when you
start dealing with a lot of layer 2 / layer 3 boxes.