Since you worked in a brokerage situation, you probably understand better
than most...
It's straight IP, but there is equipment from Bloomberg, Metavante,
Reuters, Pershing, etc.
Most of the equipment, I have to take the vendor's word that it's not
misbehaving since I don't have access.
Supposedly, each vendor checked their equipment and ruled out all the
things we asked them to check.