Hi Ivan,

Comments within lines

>From: "Ivan Yip" >Hi All, >I am a little bit confused about LLQ. Below
is my understanding after >digesting some documentation and feedback from
others. Please correct me if >I'm wrong.

>1. LLQ=PQ+CBWFQ and PQ is defined by using 'priority'

You are correct.

>2. if using 'bandwidth', then I'm not using LLQ. What I'm using is
CBWFQ.

You are only allowed to use the priority keyword with the PQ where its
main concern is to forward packets as fast as it can. That's why no queue
size is configured for it. As your main concern is latency so once the
defined bandwidth you assigned for the PQ using the priority keyword is
reached the PQ will start dropping immediately. The point here is:
Dropping a voice packet is better than delivering it delayed - from the
voice quality prespective -

You start using the "bandwidth" keyword with the rest of the classes
defined to indicate the usage of CBWFQ. Also you will need to use WRED in
order to define min_threshold, max_threshold, and how fast you drop from
each class via the exponentianl value defined.

>3. PQ (from LLQ) defines the min. and max. guaranteed bandwidth to >the
traffic I defined during congestion.

Not necessary during congestion. PQ is treated separetly from the CBWFQ
to gurantee low latency for this type of traffic even in normal
situations. Imagine a voice packet waiting for a long data packet to be
transmitted. This will make the voice packet delayed - i.e. degradation
in voice quality which we don't want to happen - this will lead to the
fact that you will need to configure LFI to avoid long data packets
delaying your voice.

>Also, do I need to define the class-default under policy? >
>eg,policy-map 1 > class 1 > priority 80 > class class-default >
fair-queue >

>What's the difference if I'm not defining the class-default?

Yes you need doing so. But when you do so you will also define the
min_threshold, max_threshold of this class default. After all traffic
classified in default class is not sentitive at all for delay and more
packets could be kept in its queue without a noticable degradation in
performance.

For example:

Policy-map out

 class A

   Bandwidth percent 50

   random-detect

   random-detect exponential-weighting-constant 3

   random-detect precedence 3  2  5  1

 class class-default

   fair-queue

   random-detect

   random-detect exponential-weighting-constant 2

   random-detect precedence 0  6 18 1

Yasser

misconduct and Nondisclosure violations to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

3 months FREE*.