At 9:34 AM +0000 1/6/03, Waleed Sami wrote:
>My client, a telco., has two network logically and physically seperated. One
>that handle the business aspect of the operation: Customer services,
>billing...etc) and the other handles internet access, mail, office
>automation....etc. The question is should they integrate the two networks in
>one? cost is not an issue here. Security is a major issue.
>The main direction for my client is to keep the situation as is: is this the
>right decision?"

As do all questions like this, the answers come down to "it depends."
Even more, what problem are they trying to solve, especially if cost
is not an issue? Some reasons to do this can be to reduce operational
rather than capital cost, and I'm not sure if that distinction is
being made here. There are also potential high-availability
advantages, if equipment previously dedicated to one network or
another can be made available to multiple logical networks.

If you look deeply enough, I think you will find a telco normally has
more than two types of networks.  For example, do they separate their
OSS network from their business operations network?  On what does
their SS7 run? When you say "billing," is that customer billing or
collection of billing data?  On what network(s) do separations
settlements take place?

What about last mile, last 100 mile, and second mile networks? Does
the telco directly or indirectly support DSL? Does it need a plan to
compete with cable-based services? What's the philosophy with regard
to ATM, (G)MPLS, and optical networking?

That said, with serious attention given to high availability,
security and performance, logical (e.g., VPN)  but not physical
separation can work.

I wouldn't attempt this without building some configuration tools
that prevented internal networks EVER being internet-accessible.

Honestly, this is really an evaluation that requires a substantially
experienced consultant.  You can see some of the issues discussed in
my book, Building Service Provider Networks, but this is only a start.

There will be differences in rules depending on who regulates the
telco, on a local/state and national basis. For example, if you
aren't sure what CALEA or E911 requirements are relevant, you aren't
going to learn the questions to ask overnight.