Chuck,

Were you asking about upgrading a router or selecting a new router as part
of a design. If it's upgrading, then the last sentence of Steve's message is
a good answer. If there are full Qs and/or Q drops when link utilization
isn't maxed out, then the router itself is probably the bottleneck. Q drops
when utilization is maxed out, on the other hand, are an indication that you
need more bandwidth, regardless of the router model.

Selecting a new router that will not be a bottleneck is a much harder
problem. You can't look at Q drops because you don't have the router yet! In
that case, a few options are to look at vendor specs for packets per second
ratings, independent benchmark measurements, trade rag reviews, and the
like. For more scientific answers, you could try a modeling programs. Some
of them actually have router specs built in and can do a pretty good job of
modeling what you will really see.

As Steve said, there are many categories of delay, some of which the router
"horsepower" can't affect. Here's my taxonomy of delay types:

Propagation Delay. Network signals experience propagation delay resulting
from the finite speed of light, which is 300,000 kilometers per second, or
186,282 miles per second. These values are for light traveling in a vacuum.
A signal in a cable or optical fiber travels approximately 2/3 the speed of
light in a vacuum.

Serialization Delay. Another fundamental cause for delay is the time to put
digital data onto a transmission line, which depends on the speed of the
line. Serialization delay is a major factor for low-speed serial lines. It
is not much of an issue for high-speed interfaces.

Packet-Switching Delay. Packet-switching delay refers to the latency accrued
when bridges, switches, and routers forward data. The latency depends on the
speed of the internal circuitry and CPU and the switching architecture of an
internetworking device. The delay can be as small as 10 to 20 microseconds
for 64-byte Ethernet frames crossing high-end switches or routers that have
hardware ASICs that handle the forwarding of frames.

Queuing Delay. Packet-switching delay may include queuing delay when a
packet switch needs to queue data because an output buffer or interface are
busy. The number of packets in a queue on a packet-switching device
increases exponentially as utilization on an output port increases.

Priscilla