""cog""  wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Bought all my own equipment for a CCNP/CCIE rack and I wan't to get others
> imput on the actual topology of the rack. What has motivated your rack
> topology? Does you rack Mimic the CCIE 1 Day lab Rack setup? What would
you
> change or add?

good question - for theoretical design as well as practical purposes.

to me the limiting factor is the length of the serial cables. Mine are
neighborhood 36 inches, so I need things stacked in such a way such that
routers can connect to eachother as well as to the frame switch router. So I
don't have a rack, but rather two stacks of equipment on the table to my
right.

The token ring and ethernet connections are not an issue, as 6 foot patch
cables are plentiful. Once in a while I run into a problem with my corssover
cables, depending on how I have things patched. One of the cables is only 3
foot, Actually, that is an issue only when doing IOS image upgrades. My PC
is more than three feet away from the closest router.

As things sit, the biggist issue is finger space. Sometimes I cant't reach
in to plug or unplug, screw or unscrew cables of various kinds.

In my own mind, emulating the CCIE rack specifically is of little value. I
can dup the lab quite easily with the physical setup I have, even if I do
have to use a couple of token ring ports to do it. Consider the difference
between the logical and the physical. Just a matter of patch cables.

I mentioned theoretical, because anyone whose ever seen any of the equipment
rooms I was in charge of when I was a tech manager realizes that I have a
very poor concept of space.

HTH

Chuck