I had many of the same concerns as you do when I started.
The way I see it is that those places tend to teach you how to pass a test
and if thats what you get for 5600 bucks is it realy worth it if you dont
truely grasp the material?I prefer to dump my money into my home lab and on
books and teach myself (with no small amount of help from the list
members)and when I pass a test I know that it happened because I have the
required understanding of the material and not because someone shoehorned
all the relevant facts required to pass the test into my head.I also looked
into the programs at my community college and came to the conclusion that
they were basicly cert mills or at least my local program was and to my mind
places like that basicly devalue the certification.

Just my two cents.
Best of luck in whichever path you choose.
Don K.