Good one, Paul. There's been a lot of buzz about this. I wish I had reported
it when I first saw it a few years ago. ;-) I have mentioned this before on
this list. (You heard it here first!)

I saw an awful case where a client logged into a database using an encrypted
password. The next packet that it sent needed Ethernet padding and had the
unencrypted password in the pad! I thought the user told me that a database
bug fix stopped this from happening, but I'm guessing now that it could have
still happened. The CERT vulnerability blames Ethernet drivers, not upper
layers.

I just spent an hour going through my trace files trying to find the
particular case, but I can't find it. But I did verify that numerous
Ethernet cards don't put 0s in the pad. I saw quite a bit of readable text
(including "public") in the Ethernet padding of 60 byte frames.

Priscilla