John,

There are 5 ospf network types:

1. point-to-point - such as T-1, valid neighbors on each end will always
become adjacent.

2. Broadcast - such as ethernet, token ring, and FDDI. Broadcast
network are capable of connecting more than 2 devices. OSPF routers on the
broadcast network will elect a DR and BDR.

3. NBMA (non-broadcast multi-access) such as X.25, frame-relay, and ATM.
Capable of connecting more than 2 routers but no broadcast capability.
Extra configuration must be done for routers on these network to acquire
their neighbors.

4. Point-to-multipoint - Special configuration of NBMA networks. NBMA
networks are treated as a collection of point-to-point links. Router on
these networks do not elect a DR and BD and because their network is seen
as point-to-point links, packets are unicast.

5. Virtual Links - Interpreted by the router as unnumbered point-to-point
network.

All that being said, PPP over HDLC the default network type is
point-to-point as listed in #1 above.

When I can't seem to get OSPF working across circuits I look at things
like, network type, ensure my subnet masks are correct in the network
statement. Also turns on debug ip ospf adj, that will tell you where the
adjacency process is failing.

Good Luck

Debbie