Hello groupstudy,

I've been banging my head against the wall and figured I would defer this
question to those of you more learned and experienced. Here is the the
scenario:

2 routers running BGP
Router 1 has a connection to ISP 1 and router 2 has a connection to ISP 2
Each receives full routes.
Each provider has given us a class C address
Only the class C from provider 1 is actively used, because provider 2 will
probably be dropped eventually(ssshhh don't tell ARIN)

The class C is advertised to both ISPs, however ISP 1 aggregates this
address space so instead of being 1.1.1.x /24 it's 1.1.x.x /16
This was checked using various looking glasses.

What that means is that traffic to my Class C will arrive primarily via ISP
2 because it will see the /24 I advertise though it. That is bad, for
various reasons. Mainly because we are charged by usage from ISP2, but also
because we are going to upgrade ISP1 to a fractional t3 and use ISP 2
primarily as a backup eventually. Also the traffic coming in is 90% via ISP
2 and 10% via ISP 1.

If I remember from my studying so long ago, even prepending my AS number to
ISP 2 will not work, becuase it doesn't even make it to that criteria, but
rather see the /24 and chooses that route.

I searched some newsgroups, but amazingly enough nobody seemed to have this
issue. I saw someone who had a larger block than /24 and some suggestions
there but that would not work in this case.

Options not available:
Using the Class C from Carrier 2 to load balance using IP space and traffic
types
Getting a class C independant of a provider from ARIN. (That costs money :))

Robert