From: Sam Sneed [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, January 14, 2003 6:59 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: applying PIX access-lists [7:61033]

I am new to PIX and have a simple question. What methods do you (PIX Admins)
use to change and apply access-lists. Unlike IOS access-lists it seems you
can remove statements from the middle of the list. When you do this does the
change occur immediately or do you have to reapply the access-group? Do you
need to do clear xlate after changing access-lists?

how about the following scenatio:

I have PIX that has interface outside with the follwoing access-list:

access-list from-internet permit ip any host 10.10.10.1
access-list from-internet permit ip any host 10.10.10.4
access-list from-internet permit ip any host 10.10.10.5
access-list from-internet deny ip any any

and

access-group from-internet in interface outside

now I want to add  "access-list from-internet permit ip any host 10.10.10.2"
before "access-list from-internet permit ip any host 10.10.10.4".

What is the best way to do this?
I thought maybe I would create a new list :

access-list from-internet2 permit ip any host 10.10.10.1
access-list from-internet permit ip any host 10.10.10.2
access-list from-internet2 permit ip any host 10.10.10.4
access-list from-internet2 permit ip any host 10.10.10.5
access-list from-internet2 deny ip any any

than remove the old and apply the new one in successive commands.
Is this the standard way of amking changes or do you more experienced admins
have a better way. I'm migrating from a checkpoint environment so this
wasn't an issue when administering them.

How about this for a good question.... Why aren't the access-lists on the
PIX numbered like prefix-lists in BGP. Wouldn't that be very intuitive and
easy to work with?