The Long and Winding Road wrote:

> It's getting to where I actually wish troubleshooting would
> come back to the
> lab ;->
>
> had two routers go into endless reload tonight when I turned a
> few on to get
> some more practice.
>
> after going through the password recovery procedure for both,
> it appears
> that the two routers in question did not like the command "ip
> pim
> sparse-dense-mode" on the token ring interfaces.

Chuck,

I've never tried enabling mcast on a TR interface.  According to Cisco
training material, it is strongly advised against.  This is rooted in the
fact that there is no difference between mcast and broadcast on a TR
interface.  I think you mentioned having sat the mcast/qos exam, so I reckon
you know why.  It has to do with the functional address format that TR
uses.  So I wouldn't be surprised to see a 2500 go into meltdown.

> Which is
> interesting,
> because two other routers have that same configuration, and
> came up just
> fine.

I think you nailed it with your followup comments.  The others were probably
disabled.