        From: s vermill [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
        Sent: Tue 1/21/2003 6:59 PM
        To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Subject: RE: T1 and Frame Relay Sniffers [7:61531]

        Clarification below...

        s vermill wrote:

        > William Pearch wrote:
        > >
        > > Does anyone have a recomendation for a sniffer solution to
        > look
        > > at T1's, V.35, Frame Relay?  Any experience with the Logix
        > > product?
        > >
        > > Bill in Anchorage
        > >

        > Sorry, no Logix experience that I can remember.  There really
        > are two distinct types of WAN test equipment.  For intrusively
        > troubleshooting circuits any one of many Bit Error Rate test
        > sets are usually employed.  What used to be TTC (now Acterna)
        > is responsible for the famous Fireberd series and also the
        > T-Berd series.  These are great products (I prefer the Fireberd
        > in most cases for digital stuff but the T-Berd 310 has several
        > optical options for SONET, PoS, etc).  These also can monitor
        > non-intrusively in many cases.  As for v.35, there probably
        > isn't much you could do for in-service monitoring.

        ThatC"b,b"s true in the case of the Fireberd and the T-Berd, which are
primarily
        used for intrusive testing (in my experience).  They donC"b,b"t drill
down (up?)
        any further than the L2 frame and don't look at all into the payload.  In
        the case of the below-mentioned Agilent Advisor, which is primarily used for
        in-service monitoring (in my experience), you can look much further up the
        protocol stack.  I use it for HDLC decodes, for example, where HDLC might be
        carrying any number of upper-layer data (and sometimes man-readable ASCII
        text), which can be furhter decoded.  It doesnC"b,b"t much matter whether
or not
        itC"b,b"s v.35, TIA/EIA-232 or 422, whatever (as long as you have the
appropriate
        interface module).