Hello,

Again for those reading Cisco Press' CCNP Routing Exam Certification Guide.

It's not clear to me how often the OSPF topology table is exchanged by
default. I thought this happened every 30 minutes, regardless of other recent
updates. The cert. guide is not consistent about this:

Page 166:
"...Although OSPF sends the entire table every 30 minutes after the last
update, this is far less demanding of network resources than the older
protocol, RIP. ..."
Page 172:
" ... However, 30 minutes after the last update was received, a compressed
version of the table is propagated. ..."
Page 185:
"... OSPF will send summary information every 30 minutes, regardless of
whether incremental updates have been sent in that time..."
Page 186:
"...Involves updates sent as required (when changes are seen) and every 30
minutes after no change has been seen..."
Page 216:
"... synchronized, incremental updates will be sent to the neighbors as soon
as a change is perceived, as well as every 30 minutes...."
Page 288:
"...The topology table is exchanged between adjacent routers at least every
30
minutes..."

Maybe one of the OSPF gurus knows this by heart, saving me some RFC reading
and CCO searching time?

Thanks,

Eric Brouwers.