Juntao gave you good answers, but I thought I'd comment on the issue of
whether you should shut down a serial interface before changing the
encapsulation. It is the "polite" thing to do, although it's not necessary
to get it to work.

It sounds like you were using PPP before. Remember that the Link Control
Protocol (LCP) is connection-oriented, working in the control plane. It
would be nice if you gave it a chance to gracefully shut down the connection
with the router on the other end. If you don't, you'll leave the other
router wondering what happened, until a timeout occurs and it closes the
connection. The router will waste resources trying to figure out whether its
partner is alive or dead.

The same applies if you were changing from Frame Relay or Cisco's HDCL. They
also both have connection-oriented components, working in the control plane,
that will waste resources trying to figure out whether the connection should
be closed.

Of course, you're going to soon change the other router too, so it's really
not a big deal, but it's just a matter of letting protcools behave in their
intended way to hopefully not waste router resources.

To be honest, I doubt that most people working in the field worry about such
things, (not to say that operations types aren't graceful. :-)

Priscilla Oppenheimer
www.troubleshootingnetworks.com
www.priscilla.com