hi

it is nothing like HSRP, even if looked @ from the virtual IP point of view,
for the simple reason that HSRP elects one active router and only router is
active @ any time, (as opossed to TCP load Balacing, that uses all the ip's
of the servers to forward data to) and the real ip of the active HSRP router
is transparent to the user's of course but to the packets them selfs as
well.

TCP load balancing NOT sharing, (because the router will distribute the
flows amongst the TCP server's, one flow for each server in a round robin
fashion, therefore balancing, because traffic is equally balanced based on
flows (unless if u look at it in terms of bandwith, in which case, sharing
would the term to classifie this, i think) .

also the real IP's of these TCP servers, are not transparent to the packets,
they are, only to the user
and the router must rebuild the packet fields and frame fields, then load
balances to the servers.

the obvious limitation, is that the above can only be done to TCP traffic.

hope the above helps
regards

""Peter P""  a icrit dans le message de news:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Can anyone give me a real world example of why you would need to consider
> using TCP Load Distribution. I am summarising slightly but
> TCP Load Distribution seems to be a method of using a single IP address
(the
> Global Inside Address)inbound; which is handed off to different devices on
> the inside. OK.
>
> If this is a fair description I can see that this would be useful for load
> sharing amongst internal servers. IE maybe if an increasing number of
> Internet customers were accessing your resources - on line shopping
whatever
> - that you might want to spread (balance) the load among several identical
> servers? So is 'loosely' like HSRP (not to do with redundancy so much) but
> conceptually in that there is a VIRTUAL entity that supports multiple
> physical entities (servers) to enable the load distribution amongst these
> 'real' devices.
>
> Therefore is the case that the real devices don't need to be network
devices
> - they would most likely be UNIX (typically Internet facing) boxes of some
> sort? Any response to clarify my muddle thinking much appreciated!
Apologies