GM,

It depends :-). First, you typically get an advance. This varies, but can be
between $5,000 and $15,000, depending on the subject (how hot it is) and the
previous track record of the author. This money counts against any royalties
that you make...which is why they call it an "advance". You then get
royalties. Royalties are based on net profit of the book.

As an example, if a book says it costs $50 on the cover, this is considered
gross profit. Net profit is what the publisher gets for the book. The
publisher typically marks the book up by about 50%. This can vary depending
on whether the book is hard or soft-bound, includes CDs, and its page
length, as well as other things. So net profit on a $50 book is about $25.
You get a percentage of the $25. Royalties can range anywhere from a very
low 5% up to about %18 percent. Sometimes this is on a sliding scale. For
instance, it might be that you get 8% for selling 5,000 copies and between
5,000 and 10,000 you get 10% and for anything above 10,000 copies, you get
%12. As an example, if your percentage is 10% on a net profit of $25 a book,
you only get $2.50 a book.

Most technical writers don't get rich selling technical books. Most
publishers are looking for average sales of 500 copies a month. So given
$2.50 a book, you just make $1,250 for that month. Of course, if you had an
advance of $10,000, this money goes to paying off the advance. So you might
not see any real money until about 9 months later. A really hot topic
typically sells more than 1,000 or 2,000 copies a month, but this doesn't
happen too often. Of course, you might get really lucky, like Todd Lammle
did when he came out with his first CCNA book. Rumor is that he sold over
250,000 copies in 18 months...talk about nice royalty checks :-).

I got into the writing business by accident. In my first marriage, I was
paying a lot of alimony and didn't have any spending money :-(. This is when
Cisco's certifications were taking off. Since I taught these classes, and
had a minor in English, I thought, hey, what the heck. It will at least give
me some money to travel a bit. So my first contract was with the Coriolis
Group to write a Cisco Switching book for Cisco's switching exam.

Writing isn't for everyone. Constantly I get asked how easy is it, or how
can even begin to write a book? Typically, I can get a first proof of the
book done in 3-4 months, which is about 600-700 pages. It takes persistence.
There are many a day when I don't feel like working at it. When I was
writing my first book, I was under a lot of stress--working during the day
and then writing 3-4 hours every night. And then writing every weekend.
Today, my schedule is much more flexible

Cheers!
--

Richard A. Deal

Visit my home page at http://home.cfl.rr.com/dealgroup/

Author of Cisco PIX Firewalls, CCNA Secrets Revealed!, CCNP Remote Access
Exam Prep, CCNP Switching Exam Cram, and CCNP Cisco LAN Switch Configuration
Exam Cram

Cisco Test Prep author for QuizWare, providing the most comprehensive Cisco
exams on the market.

""Mossburg, Geoff (MAN-Corporate)""  wrote in
message [EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...