I think the general ideas are as follows:

- OSPF provides a mechanism to filter LSA (routing information).  This
is done within the OSPF spec via area boundaries (ABRs and ASBRs).

- the OSPF area construct works best when all devices in the area
have the same view of toplogy and cost within the area.  When this is
not the case, issues may arise (see below)

- With the right topological and OSPF area design, one can support
most requirements for the controlling of routing information.

Filtering of LSAs within an area has the following issues:

- first, since LSAs are flooded, filtering LSAs at one location
might have no impact as these filtered LSAs might reach all corners
of the area any way (based on other paths which aren't filtering).

- if filtering is "successful" and devices within an area have different
views of the toplogy and costs, sub-optimal routing and/or routing loops
will likely be present.

So, in general, controlling routing information really should be done
at the designated locations, namely where area's interconnect.  That's
not to say that there might not be times when one does want to filter
LSAs within an area.  Looks like the command "neighbor database-filter"
exists to do this.