For those who came into the IT industry during the mid to late 1990s, these
last few years have been eye opening.
Let's face it...if you could spell MCSE in 1997, you could easily land a
job earning $70k or more per year.  This amazing earning power was an
anomaly that burst with the dotcom bubble.  Historically, jobs that paid
significantly more than average (engineering, medicine, law, etc.) required
a great deal of study and knowledge in the chosen field.  When it got to
the point that just about anyone with a heartbeat could pass certain
certification tests by rote memorization of braindumps, two things happened:
1) Certified people became a commodity and supply exceeded demand.  As
anyone who took even an intro economics course can tell you, excess supply
leads to falling prices.  In this case, the price (salary) required to
obtain the commodity (certified persons) took a nose dive.
2) Companies realized that certifications were no predictor of ability or
performance.  Rather, they are at best a baseline indicator that the person
has been exposed to certain ideas and concepts.

Today, we're dealing with a slow economy and an excess of qualified IT
labor.  Those who get jobs in today's market are those with the better
qualifications (experience, education, and certifications), those who are
willing to work for a salary greatly reduced from what they could expect to
earn even two years ago, and those who are lucky.  The only places touting
the ability of new CCNAs to earn $60k per year are those training centers
that base their very existence on luring people to very expensive classes
with the illusory promise of graduating with a high-paying job in hand.

The bottom line is that there's no substitution for education and hard work
when trying to get a job in today's IT world.  Are certifications still
important?  Yes.  If for no other reason that many companies use them as a
basic screening tool to decide whose resume gets read and whose gets
passed.  Are certifications enough to guarantee a good job?  Absolutely
not.  Many people don't like to hear this, but the time is approaching when
IT workers are going to be held to the same standards as other career
fields.  You're going to need an education along with the certification if
you're going to get your foot in the door in the future.

Finally, you want to know how to earn a six figure salary in IT.  The way
you do this is to love your work.  You're dealing with a highly dynamic
field where today's hot skill can be tomorrow's ticket to the unemployment
line (ask the COBOL programmers).  This means that the learning NEVER
stops.  If you're not studying the latest technology every day, you're
going to find yourself useless very quickly.  The work can be frustrating
and the hours can be very long. Have you ever noticed how the IT guys are
often the first in and the last to leave?  And when the CEO's car is at the
golf course on Saturday, the IT guy's car is at the office working on an
upgrade?  If you don't love technology, and the challenges that come with
it, you're going to have a very hard time staying in the field long enough
to reach the six figure mark.  On the other hand, if you love technology,
and you love your work, you'll find that over the years, your skills and
knowledge will increase, and the salary will come.