Priscilla Oppenheimer wrote:

> Sitting in a class. It would be very cool if someone answered
> this before the class got out!? :-)
>
> Is it really true that Kismet can sniff packets on an 802.11
> wireless network, even if you have the access point set up to
> require login/authentication. (assume the hacker doesn't know a
> login)
>
> From what I know about access points, the hacker would fail to
> associate with the access point, and hence could not see traffic.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Priscilla

If I understand the question, I don't see why a wireless sniffer would need
to associate to an AP.  It's pulling data off the airways similar to a NIC
in promiscuous mode on a hard-wired network.  Unless the data is encrypted,
it's available to any wireless sniffer.  Sort of like a police scanner.  But
I sense there is more to the question...