You can try setting hyperterminal to 1200 bits per second, console connect
to router, power cycle router, then press and hold the space bar for 10 to
15 seconds within the first 30 seconds after reboot.  You won't see anything
on your screen.
Next disconnect hyperterminal session, change settings back to 9600 bps and
reconnect.
You should be in ROM MON mode, if not try few more times.
I have used this method with 100% success everytime when all break key
sequences have failed.

I hope this helps you out.
Brad