Yep you are right.

Lets try that again ...

        a) connect up1 to the same ethernet segment
        b) form bgp neighbor relationship with BGP peer at provider pr2
        c) advertise appropriate MED values requesting that pr2 prefer
         up2
        d) set local preference to prefer link via up2 to pr2 over
         up1 to pr2

In terms of what I am asking is, are there any issues with having two
'redundant' bgp links from two different routers in one AS over a single
multi-access link to a single router in another AS.

It seems to me that this would be a simple no-brainer type of change to
make, but I just have a nagging suspicion that there is some gotcha waiting
to jump out when you least expect it. None of the sample configurations I
have seen seem to mention this sort of config and I was wondering if there
was some reason why it shouldnt be done, or if it was just one of those
obscure variations of common configurations that did not warrant it's own
explicit mention.

Peter