Cisco Nuts wrote:

> John,
>
> First...CONGRATS!!!!
> You can do it!!
> Yes, there area moments when you feel that way...especially the
> first couple
> of times....but in the end you will come out a champ!!
>
> When I started teaching the CCNA/NP a couple of years back, I
> too felt the
> same initially, but personally, teaching has been the best
> thing for me in
> my life!! I love teaching and am passionate about it. I am just
> dying to
> pass the CCIE Lab so I can begin my own tutoring in my basement
> for the
> CCNA/NP/IP courses.
> The trick is to really prepare for it the night before and then
> dive
> straight to the hands-on section in the class. Then start
> explaining the
> concepts about the material as you do the hands-on. Students
> love the
> hands-on!!

This brings me to a comment I was thinking about making anyway. Tom Lisa
mentioned four types of learners. I think it was visual, aural, read/write,
and kinesthetic (as in movement). I bet the kinesthetic learners do indeed
like to dive right into hands-on, but how about the others? They may not.

Take me, for example. Please take, me. Just kidding.

If you do hands-on too early in a class, I won't get much out of it at all.
I'll be thinking, "OK, that's a nice marketing demo, but what's it really
doing behind the scenes? How does it work? Why does it work? Show me some
architectural drawings, explain the components and how they relate to each
other."

I have to hear the theory first and see some visual explanations. And I'm
not the only one like this.

John has a difficult task because he has learners of all levels, from
different walks of life. I bet he has a huge mix of learning styles.

Now, you might think that networking attracts hands-on learners, so if he
were teaching all "real networking people," he would have an esier time. I
have actually studied this, and that's not so. There's definitely a mix of
types who are attracted to networking, both analytical/theoretical types and
kinesthetic learners.

A few years ago I participated in a study of personality types of networking
people. We used the Myers Briggs personality test. I came out as INTJ
(Introvert, iNtuitive, Thinking, Judgeing.) A lot of other people did too.
We have a tendency to do way to much theory first! ;-)

The other side of Intuitive is Sensory. A lot of people in the networking
field have S in their Myers Briggs personality type. These folks learn with
their senses, especially their hands. They like lots of hands-on.

Anyway, bottom line, you need to run your class in a balanced manner to
accomodate all these types as much as possible.

There's more about the Myers Briggs personality "sorter" here:

http://keirsey.com/

Anyone else want to share what they are, or have we wasted enough bandwidth
on this already? :-)

Priscilla