>John has a difficult task because he has learners of all levels, from
>different walks of life. I bet he has a huge mix of learning styles.
>
>Now, you might think that networking attracts hands-on learners, so if
he
>were teaching all "real networking people," he would have an esier
time. I
>have actually studied this, and that's not so. There's definitely a
mix of
>types who are attracted to networking, both analytical/theoretical
types and
>kinesthetic learners.
>
>A few years ago I participated in a study of personality types of
networking
>people. We used the Myers Briggs personality test. I came out as INTJ
>(Introvert, iNtuitive, Thinking, Judgeing.) A lot of other people did
too.
>We have a tendency to do way to much theory first! ;-)
>
>The other side of Intuitive is Sensory. A lot of people in the
networking
>field have S in their Myers Briggs personality type. These folks learn
with
>their senses, especially their hands. They like lots of hands-on.
>
>Anyway, bottom line, you need to run your class in a balanced manner
>accomodate all these types as much as possible.
>
>There's more about the Myers Briggs personality "sorter" here:
>
>http://keirsey.com/
>
>Anyone else want to share what they are, or have we wasted enough
bandwidth
>on this already? :-)
>
>Priscilla

First, you're correct about the mix of learning styles in my class.
This is just a three-hour overview of networking and TCP/IP, and it is a
little difficult to convey the necessary information without a portion
of the class getting lost or falling asleep.  :-)  I've heard good
things about the class yesterday that I thought went so poorly so
perhaps I was overreacting.

As for Myers Briggs, I'm a fellow INTJ.  However, I really dislike
their testing process.  It seems to consist of "Given a certain
situation would you do A or would you do B" with no room for a 'maybe'
answer.  At least a third of the time I wish there were a "sometimes A
and sometimes B" answer.  Perhaps that means I'm an INTJ with definite
ISTJ leanings?

John