From: Priscilla Oppenheimer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2003 12:20 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: OT Re: Snort versus Cisco IDS [7:62939]

Thanks for all the replies. It's very helpful to get a feel for the
differences. To quickly synthesize what I've read, I would say that Cisco's
IDS is an enterprise, end-to-end solution, with improving reliability and
ease-of-use. Snort, on the other hand, is more appropriate for the midsize
or smaller companies with Unix expertise and has all the advantages of an
open-source project, but has some ease-of-use "issues" of its own.

I have a low-cost computer on order. I'm going to squeeze Windows XP into a
small partition (should just wipe it out maybe? ;-) and install Red Hat and
learn Linux better. I'll be tearing my hair out I'm sure! But before long,
I'll have Snort running too.

I guess it only runs on UNIX platforms?

Priscilla