My organization just went through evaluating Cisco IDS which we already
have 12 sensors, Dragon IDS kind of based on Snort, and rolling our own
version of snort. I came up with these 3 based on the different price
points and also because according to some of my research talking to
people at SANS conferences just about all the experts consider Dragon #1
in the market. To keep it short my final decision was Dragon very easy
to maintain and install also the ease of writing your own rules and
modifying others already there, also the reporting functionality to
prove to upper management that the money was well spent being able to
calculate how many attacks per month and all that other jazz. One of the
major reasons of course is dollars you know the old saying you get what
you pay for well Dragon was a heck of a lot cheaper and to be considered
the #1 product on the market right now by so many people is great which
proved me and that old saying wrong (you get what you pay for not true
all the time); not to mention Dragon gave us more on trade in value of
our old Cisco IDS sensors than Cisco would give us for them. To me this
says a lot of course Dragon wanted our business but considering we are a
Cisco reseller you would think they would want to keep our business but
I guess not because there were no negotiations on the trade in value. We
told neither what the other offered but when Dragon offered more we took
this to Cisco and they said sorry we can't do that. It might mean
something different to others but that tells me the Cisco's IDS product
is WAY over priced.

The other thing was tech support they leverage there business across all
accounts, if they see for example the sql worm overseas on other
accounts hours before it reaches state side they will contact you via
email letting you know about it and to upgrade your sensors with the new
signatures. Overall I was pleased with the product and tech support and
of course the price. So how useful is snort depends on the product there
are a ton of IDS products in the market place now based on snort. I
could have easily deployed our own rolled version of snort on
workstation pc's to keep cost way down, I will say the key with snort is
getting the proper management console to be able to push out updates to
all your other box's from a centrally managed box and there are a few
free products that will let you do this.

If you really want to keep price down and get great functionality of
snort you might want to look at Demarc PureSecure, I actually run this
at home just to see what it was all about and I am blown away by it.