Someone said "Think MTU," but I would say "Think IP Fragmentation and
Reassembly." :) In other words, different MTUs isn't supposed to cause a
problem for IP.

However, your partner company could be sending pings with the Don't Fragment
bit set, in which case it would fail, if there really is an MTU issue.

See additional comment below.

Sean Kim wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My company has this 3rd party connection through ATM.  The ATM
> TA has an ethernet outlet which is and connected to our core
> router. Our parner company is connected with anATM module on
> their router.
>
> Recently, I was told by our partner company that they were
> running ping test and they could not ping my ethernet interface
> (on the core router) with datagram over 1500 byte.
>
> From both the router itself and my workstation, I pinged my own
> interface with 1600 byte, and I was able to ping it.  But when
> I pinged my partner company's interface with 1600 byte, it
> failed.

Well, this points to your partner's interface being the problem.

Ping should reply with the same payload it received. With a large payload
that needs to be broken up, problems could occur with either the request or
reply. It sounds like the problems occur with the request when the partner
pings and with the replies when you ping the partner. The "debug ip icmp"
command might help you figure out what is happening. A protocol analyzer
would help too.

By the way, many firewalls are set to not allow IP fragments, since there's
all sorts of evil things you can do with them. Check for the existance of
firewalls, including any personal firewalls on the testing machines.

Good luck with it. Keep us posted! Thanks,

Priscilla Oppenheimer
www.troubleshootingnetworks.com
www.priscilla.com