At 1:57 AM +0000 2/19/03, Han Chuan Alex Ang wrote:
>hi, I am trying to have a clearer picture of the layer 3 switching
>
>concept.
>
>Assuming that I have a Core Catalyst 6 series switch with layer 3
>
>switching capabilities, I have a Access layer switch connected to the
>
>core with two port label Vlan 1 subnet 1 and Vlan 2 subnet 2,
>
>when frames is sent from from Vlan 1 to Vlan 2 on the same Access
>
>switch, my understanding is that for layer 3 switching , it will
>
>evoke a route one and switch the rest concept , my question is that,
>
>after the first route , if no Access list has been created, will the
>
>the Access switch be smart enough to perform internal
>
>switching, that is , frame direct from Vlan 1 to Vlan 2 internally
>
>within the Access switch.

I'm not sure exactly what you are describing, but the first question
in my mind is what MAC address would be in the source field of the
frame going to VLAN 2. Could make for some pretty confused ARP
tables.  Would the IP address have to be rewritten if it now
corresponds to a different MAC address?

>If the answer is no, Are there switches on
>
>the market that is routing by this concept, please advice ,

What problem are you trying to solve? I can't see the difference as
involving any significant delay, and I still don't quite see what the
subnet relationships will be.