Han Chuan Alex Ang wrote:

> hi, I am trying to have a clearer picture of the layer 3
> switching
>
> concept.
>
> Assuming that I have a Core Catalyst 6 series switch with layer
> 3
>
> switching capabilities, I have a Access layer switch connected
> to the
>
> core with two port label Vlan 1 subnet 1 and Vlan 2 subnet 2,
>
> when frames is sent from from Vlan 1 to Vlan 2 on the same
> Access
>
> switch, my understanding is that for layer 3 switching , it
> will
>
> evoke a route one and switch the rest concept ,

Layer 3 switching just means routing.

What you're talking about is an advanced feature of some switches whereby
the L3 core switch can tell the L2 access switch how to encapsulate and
forward the packets for this flow on its own in the future. This is
sometimes called distributed switching or multi-layer switching, although
both those terms get used in other ways too.

Many Cisco switches don't support this, but some do. Both the core and the
access switch would have to support this advanced feature for it to work.
The Catalyst 6000 does support it.

The L3 core switch has a route processor in it. It acts as a router. It
talks to the L2 access switch's switching engine with a protocol such as
Cisco's Multilayer Switching Protocol (MLSP) to let the L2 switch know how
to handle the packets in the future.

Architecturally it's no different than a router that has a route processor
and a forwarding engine, except that now the jobs are being done in two boxes.

It's not accurate to equate this behavior with L3 switching. It's more
accuate to say this behavior is one feature of some advanced L3 switches.
Notice that it requires an additional protocol. It also requires quite a few
non-default configuration commands.

Priscilla