Symon Thurlow wrote:

> Mind you, I have a cheap netgear unmanaged 10/100 switch that I am
> forced to use occasionally, and performance drops off to sneakernet
> levels if I force 100full on any of the range of NIC's I connect to it.

If you *force* 100/Full at one end and leave the other end on auto, you
get a duplex mismatch. If the autoneg end sees that the other end does
not autonegotiate, it will fall back to the least common denominator,
half duplex.

If you must force one end and not the other, use half duplex.

                Regards,

                        Marco.