Hello,

I'm not a Cisco expert and Ionly have some field experience with configuring
switches. So please forgive me for my questions.

Today I've been busy configuring a trunk on some Cisco 2950c/2924c switches.
Could somebody explain the difference between these two configurations:

Config 1:
interface FastEthernet0/25
 switchport mode trunk
 no ip address

Config 2:
interface FastEthernet0/25
 switchport access vlan 204
 switchport mode trunk
 no ip address

With the first configuration, clients on the VLAN 204 did not get an IP
address from the DHCP server. Even clients with a static IP-address could
not establish IP contact with other hosts. The switch however could see
other switches via the "show cdp" commando. It could also "ping" other
switches. (all switches are in a separate management VLAN).
When I made the change resulting in configuration two everything worked
fine.
Note that the trunk is a FX link to a Cisco 2924c switch. This switch has
two FX ports. Both ports are configured to be trunk ports. I configured one
of those FX ports with the "switchport access vlan 204" aswell. The other FX
trunk port has a configuration as shown in config 1. This trunk port has a
FX link to a third Cisco 2924c switch. This switch operates in VLAN 107.
Everything works fine in this switch. I did not have to specify the
"switchport access vlan 107" on either of these ports.

Is there some incompatibility issue between 2950c and 2924c? Why didn't it
work with config 1 on the Cisco 2950c switch? Can a Cisco 2924c switch have
its two FX ports configured as a trunk like in config 1? Even when those two
FX ports have physical links to different switches?

A lot of questions, but I'm just very curious.
To make this a bit more clear I've attached a .txt file with a simple
drawing and configurations of the current situation.

Thanks in advance,

Rutger
Sweden

[demime removed a uuencoded section named site.txt which was 30 lines]