COULOMBE, TROY wrote:

> Priscilla,
> thanks for the quick reply :)
>
> yes, so far all 3 sniffers havent revealed much [ethereal,
> sniffer, & my
> fav: etherpeek-nx]
>
> all show the decodes for RPC, but this is a Win2k box talking
> MS-RPC [port
> 135, initially]
>
> somehow, someway an upper port is getting assigned [4541 for
> example] from
> the server
>
> anywho, I'm t/s the win2k-box talking to vpn clients [also
> Wintel] and there
> seem to be a large number of tcp-rst happening on the higher
> ports upon
> initial connection ::: syn, rst, syn, rst
>
> I don't think it's black-hat activity as it was the users
> complaining...so
> I'm just trying to make sure the client is communicating "back"
> on the
> proper port the server assigned...but I cant seem to nail down
> where the
> port is in the payload...
>
> I do see the server send to the client the server's IP adder,
> but in
> "character format" [which to me is crazy]  so the server sends
> "31 00 30 00
> 2e 00 31 00 30 00 2e 00 31 00 30 00 2e 00 33 00 36 00" for
> "10.10.10.36"  31
> being the hex equiv of the ascii char "1" 00 being the buffer
> space, 30
> being the "0" and 2e being the "." of the "10."

That is similar to the FTP PORT command, which puts the IP address in ASCII
characters, separated by commas, for some unknown reason. Following the
address is the port number in ASCII characters with a comma between the
first and second byte.

Port number is a 16-bit field. To get it into two bytes, divide the decimal
value by 256. Put that it in the first part in ASCII characters. Put the
remainder in the second part.

So if it were an FTP Port command, 4541 would look like this:

4541/256 = 17 with 189 left over

1 = 31 in ASCII
7 = 37
comma = 2C
1 = 31
8 = 38
9 = 39

so you would see PORT blah blah 31 37 2C 31 38 39

Do you see anyting resembling that?? Maybe with nulls inbetween, since they
are doing nulls in between for the IP address, and maybe a period instead of
a comma?

Priscilla