At 9:11 AM +0000 2/27/03, Steve Wilson wrote:
>Thanks for the definition assistance.
>The problem with trying to assist in a forum such as this is that if you try
>to simplify an answer you end up with an answer that is too simple. All I
>was trying to get across was my way of looking at the difference between a
>physically separate routing device working at layer3 between subnets and a
>chassis like a 6509 which can have individual blades perform the functions
>without the limitation of wires between the physical interfaces. The "wires"
>are still there, they are just created in software in the chassis.
>
>Cheers,
>Steve Wilson
>Network Engineer

Definite cheers in return.  As you point out, it's easy to
oversimplify--one of the reasons I avoid the L3 switching
terminology.  It's routing--there are just a wide range of router
product design techniques, with different optimizations.  Some of
these optimizations are for maximum forwarding speed, others are for
cost, others for QoS power, etc. To me, a virtual router implies
there are at least two distinct control-and-forwarding entities (1
RIB and 1 FIB minimum each).

I think this started with a fairly simple CCNA/CCNP level
question--I've lost track at this point. My strong opinion is that
for the purpose of initial understanding, trying to deal with L3
switching as a significantly different technique is totally confusing
for people learning the basics.  For them, L3 switching = routing,
and then certain speeds, feeds, and feature sets.

Choosing those speeds/feeds/feature sets is really a higher skill set
for specific network design.

The 6500 architecture (as is, for that matter, the 7500, 10000,
12000...) involves a single active control instance and one or more
physical forwarding instances in the same chassis, which is slightly
different than either of my VR definitions. MLS gets even more
confusing when one realizes that on a 5500, the control engine
running the routing protocols can be on a completely external box,
but the FIB is in a L3 forwarding board in the chassis with multiple
L2 blades.

7500s and up actually can have multiple physical L3 forwarding instances.

Without even getting into the researchy area of active
multiprocessing in the control plane, things are very blurred on how
to consider the 6509 by your definition above.  I tend to think about
it as a set of blades interconnected by a network, which just happens
to be in the fabric. In other words, there isn't a huge difference
between wires between physical interfaces and fabric, as long as the
"wires" are fast enough. There are off-the-shelf optoelectronic
fabric chipsets that run at OC-48 and OC-192, but aren't limited to
10 Gbps because they aren't limited to parallel interfacing.

In other words, we get very blurred about whether the "box" is still
more or less monolithic, or really should be considered an enclosure
for a small Storage Area Network interconnecting the blades.  I
rather prefer the latter.

Howard