DTE/DCE has meaning at Layer 2 Frame Relay where DCE refers to the Frame
Switch.
DTE/DCE also has meaning at Layer 1 where we determine which end provides
clocking to the line.
They are two seperate configuration points. At layer one the DCE end could
be the switch or the router.
If you are using a back-to-back serial cable, issue a show controllers s 0
(or whatever your serial interface is named) (put a space between the word
serial and the number). The output should tell you whether you have the DCE
or DTE end of the cable. Configure a clock rate on the DCE end.