I think it is up to individual companies to be responsible for their own AS,
and should filter what routes and AS's they accept from peers!  Ideally we
would want to "authenticate" our peers etc, but considering the expense etc
in rolling out this sort of technology .... you could also make use of
domain admins BGP databases, for example here in Europe, take a copy from
the RIPE DB, and make sure that routes are originiated from their proper
admins