From: Nate [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, March 05, 2003 4:06 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: PATCH PANEL stuff [7:64503]

Sam,

  A lot of the questions can be answered by knowing how the cables are
strung into the racks.  For esthetics, I rewire everything, but each admin
is different as well as managements needs.  I'd say if you had to rewire and
repunch down everything for the patch panel as well as rewire all of the CAT
5 you'll have to allow yourself at lease a couple of hours of downtime for
rewiring, reorganizing, and testing.

  What I suggest is to label everything.  Labels save lives.  After that,
I'd suggest creating a step-by-step instructions for yourself (i.e.. [1]
Unplug all RJ45 cables. [2] Pull all punched cables from back of Patch
Panel. [3] Rewire RJ 45 cable. [4] .... you get the picture).  That way,
there is no surprises and nothing you forgot.

  Just a suggestion.

-Nate