""Symon Thurlow""  wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Hey Chuck,
>
> How did that big design go, the one you mentioned on the list a few
> months ago?
>
> Symon

You mean the Never Ending Design? The Nightmare before the CCIE Lab?

Here is a brief rundown. I will say in advance that as all of you who work
in the real world with real world management, real world customers, and real
world situations already know, the real work is at layers 8,9, and 10.

Project Summary: large organization, 2000+ employees, 10,000 data ports, 3
dozen locations, with each location being a campus of several buildings or
several floors within buildings. The project RFP called for a complete
forklift of the existing infrastructure - routers, switches, PBX. It also
called for wireless for voice and data. The project goal was to create a
network fully capable of providing seamless integrated services for data,
voice, and video. Oh yes, there was a three week turnaround deadline for the
response, and there was no flexibility in this. Meet the customer date or
lose the opportunity. On top of that, as is typical with most RFP's, all
questions are to be submitted in writing, and all responses go to all
bidders.

Clues that something is strange:

1) for any wireless response this complex, detailed site surveys are
required. there is not time to do this.

answer: well then just do a site survey. besides, we have aerial photographs
of all of our locations posted on our web site. you can use those to
determine what you need.

2) you're RFP provides numbers of IDF's in each location and total number of
ports required. e.g. site X has 7 IDF's and 257 data ports. do you have
detail as to how many data ports are in each specific closet?

answer: use an average, or come out here and do a site survey and figure it
out for yourself.

3) you're RFP calls for L3 switching in each and every closet. Is this
necessary, given that there is only a single ingress/egress, and that all
sites are hub and spoke? plus L3 is more expensive, and I'm not sure there
is anything to gain.

answer: we want L3 everywhere. are you saying your ( Cisco ) equipment does
not do L3?

Customer: oh by the way, we will be opening a new location sometime in the
next 18 months. I want you to include that location in this response.

4) how many closets? how many phones? how many data ports?

answer: just take locations a,b, and c, and average those out to get the
numbers.

These were the major things, and should give you a pretty good idea of the
upper layer issues.

Well, I work my ass off to meet the deadlines. We and  a couple of other
vendors respond. The presentation meeting takes place with all vendors in
the same room at the same time. Oh joy, but at least we can see eachothers'
hands.

All vendors come back with total cost in the 8-9 million range.

Now the customer reveals that his budget is 5 million. This is something
that was asked, and which the customer refused to discuss previously. I
should add that as this is a non profit organization, and some of the
funding is from grant money with particular restrictions, this is not as
straightforward in terms of budget as might first appear. The grants will
pay for some types of equipment and services, but not others. The 5 mil is
for a "complete package" including data circuits, all equipment, and all
services. so subtract the total 5 year cost of data circuits from that 5
mil. divvy up what's left between what the grants will buy and what the
customer himself will buy.

OK, so now we have to scramble. The customer finally gets a clue that things
cost money, and the more you want, the more you have to pay. So - trim your
proposals, and get back with just what is required for end to end voice over
IP plus new WAN equipment. No wireless. No new switches other than those
needed to directly support the IP telephones.

back to the drawing board. All non-phone switches are out. all wireless is
out.

next big problem. the customer RFP states specifically that there are
numbers of site with poor wiring, and inadequate equipment. There are
express concerns with the ability of existing infrastructures to handle
existing loads, let alone adding unified messaging to the mix. we suggest
using a voicemail only solution. the customer goes into apoplexy. my network
is my business, not yours. well, what if performance suffers and you end up
with unhappy and complaining users. well that's my responsibility and none
of your business.

OK.  we all know what's gonna happen, but ok.

In the mean time, one of my fellow workers is doing physical site surveys.
Among the things he discovers is an additional 21 data closets that the
customer was unaware of. the numbers of data closets as expressed in the RFP
is wrong. Many sites have one or two fewer. Other sites have as many as 6 or
7 more.

scramble again to change the design to reflect this.all the time under this
damn budget restriction. The customer will not hear of doing this over a
couple of years, obtaining addition grant many in future funding periods.
the customer will not hear of further reductions. The customer is pissed
that I have to resort to single routers in many locations, routers which
will serve as PSTN failover, PSTN gateways, and WAN routing all in one box.
The customer says that Cisco told them that AVVID is a redundant solution
and he wants redundancy. I reply that I have to be concerned with two
things - ability of the router to handle the peak load demands for voice and
data, and the budget, which is a bummer. I say I can go cheaper, but then I
risk having to up the router later if it proves inadequate.

Response: I'm buying a managed solution, and if equipment proves inadequate,
you will replace it at no cost to me.

Does this customer scare you? He sure scares me.

Notice that all of the discussion from the customer side has little to do
with needs and requirements, and everything to do with wants and demands.
Notice too the responsibility issue.

In any case, as it stands today, a couple of design revision later, we have
something that will work. I am not comfortable with the lack of failover for
the Unity box, supporting over 2,000 voice mailboxes. I am not comfortable
with the LAN issue, because I am still responsible for the WAN and I have no
control over the customer LAN. Worse of all, I have no confidence that this
customer really will accept responsibility for the things he said were none
of my business. I see a major disaster coming down the road.

Oh - I see I haven't even mentioned the phones, the phone requirements, and
what was eventually the compromise there.

On the other hand, the commission for this sale will be decent :->