Priscilla Oppenheimer wrote:
> DeVoe, Charles (PKI) wrote:
>
>>I am looking at frame relay.  As I understand it, the frame
>>relay connection
>>goes from the CPE to the service provider CO.  My question is,
>>does the
>>destination device on the other side of the CO also need to run
>>frame relay?
>>Could they perhaps run ATM?
>>
>>My CPE                     CO                Dest. CPE
>>  |  Frame Relay            |    ATM              |
>>----------------------------------------------------
>

> Good question. Yes, the Frame Relay Forum defines a method for doing this.
> It's called Frame Relay ATM Interworking. (Yes, the word is really
> interworking.) I think it's somewhat common. It's been around for a
while....

> _______________________________
>
> Priscilla Oppenheimer
> www.troubleshootingnetworks.com
> www.priscilla.com

  Yes it is fairly common.  The magic is in the middle.  The configs of
the frame CPE and the ATM CPE wuld be the same as if you had frame/ATM
respectively on the other side.  The only caveat is you will most likely
need to use IETF encapsulation on the frame since you will most likely
not be terminating on a Cisco for the internetworking component.

   Dave
--
David Madland
CCIE# 2016

I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one
behind me."
--- General George S. Patton