I'll take a stab at it since nobody else did.

Oliver Hensel wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Can someone point me to a document which explains
> what happens with a prefix that is dampened if
> it's distributed via two providers.

I don't think you'll find a document that answers the question explicitly
because the implicit answer is sort of obvious, as I think you realize.

It's a route that's dampened, not a prefix. With two providers, in most
cases, there would be two distinct routes to your prefix. A BGP route has
path attributes including an AS_Path, which is a list of Autonomous System
numbers. With two providers, the two routes will be distinct and have a
different set of AS numbers in most situations. Otherwise what would be the
point?

> Will only the penalized route dampened, that is
> will we still have connectivity if one link is
> flapping. I think so, but I'd like to have some
> confirmation for that.

If just one of your links is flapping, then just one of your routes will get
dampened. The other one will still be usable.

If your two links share a circuit to the telco or physically share a path
that has been dug up by the proverbial back-hoe operator, it's possible both
links could be flapping, and then they will both get dampened, but hopefully
you have a network design that avoids that problem. Don't let BGP rain on
your parade and dampen too much at once! Have good physical diversity. ;-)

Priscilla