Hello All,

I'm hoping to get some input on which books are good to strengthen my
understanding of the telco and their equipment.

Currently I work in the NOC of my company. We primarily do 1st level
troubleshooting of our network equipment and T1s. Primarily we have been
running point-to-point T1s from our home office our to hub locations
which
then have small branch offices connect via point-to-point fractional
T1s.
The design group has started implementing DS3s at the hub locations
utilizing ATM back to our home office. The small branch sites now
connect
to new hub locations via Frame-Relay (the telco is providing us
frame-to-atm
conversions). Since I'm pretty new to Frame-Relay I'm trying to get a
better understanding of exactly what is happening. I understand the
basics
of Frame-Relay, but I'm looking for a more in-depth discussion of these
types
of scenarios.

A good example is currently we have a site that is bouncing 3/4 times a
day.
The CSU/DSU on our side shows no errored seconds. The telco is telling
me
that the DAX (hope that is right for digital cross-connects), is showing
no
errors. However, they say they are seeing CRC errors, LMI misalignment
errors, LMI timeouts, etc., on their Frame-Relay switch. To me, since we
aren't seeing errors on their send pair and they aren't seeing errors on
our
send pair (their DAX with no errors), then the problem exists between
their
1st DAX and their Frame-Relay switch. Now, I could be completely wrong
and
that is why I'm looking for more information - especially since I
believe we
will be seeing much more of these types of implementations at my
organization.

So, any books/sites/etc. that you could recommend for me to educate
myself
on telco inner working and/or DS3/ATM troubleshooting, explanations,
etc.
would be greatly appreciated. I currently have no books referencing any
of
these technologies (except for the Larscom CSU/DSU manuals - which
aren't
too bad - and a ton of Cisco books geared more toward
routing/switching/security). I googled for a couple of hours tonight
w/out much luck. I also found about 20 books on Amazon, but I'm not sure
if
they really address my needs. So, again any input sincerely appreciated.

Jeff

P.S. I just wanted to thank everyone on this list - I've been a lurker
for a
couple of years and have learned tons form you folks! Got my CCNP and
now
working toward my CCIE.