I  totaly agree with you about the point of pepole just learning what is
enough to pass the tests, and take them again and again just to pass them,
As I come from a microsoft background and am a former Microsoft MCT traineer
I know this all to well, as it is a even bigger problem on that side.
I work in a cisco enviroment all day,  but as I am from a small contry with
a small market, there are some products that I donīt see a lot off, so I can
be hard to get real word exerpince with the whole range of cisco products.
This routing and switching exam is in my opinion totaly difrent from the
other cisco exams I have taken, as the questions are very short and to the
point about some detail, and I would say 50% configuring and functonality of
IOS features and 50% product knowlidge, and I.M.H.O some of the product
question can be preati obscure.
I was looking for comments frome somone that has taken this exam, as to what
they used to prepair, you can be asured that I am going to be well prepaired
the next time I take the exam, and I will probably better get to know some
of the products I dont work with on an regular basis.

Well good luck to me one the next atempt, that is going to be the last one,
as I am not faling againg ;)