""Sam""  wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Hey there
>
> I had a simple question.
>
> I came across this router which had an ip address of 199.66.15.252/27
>
> I wonder how that is possible because it doesn't seem a legal address.
> With a subnet mask of 27, you get 6 subnets as follows:
> 32-64
> 64-96
> 96-128
> 128-160
> 160-192
> 192-224

this is true in terms of legacy. In the new world, the all zero's and the
all one's subnets may be used.

On Cisco equipment, the all one's subnet has been a default for quite a
while. The all zero's was invoked with the command ip subnet-zero

I believe that with IOS images greater than 12.1, that all zero's is enabled
by default.