a comment or to in line ( like the states )

""Nigel Taylor""  wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Chuck,
>             Let's see if I can make any sense in my reply to your
comments.
> When I think of a "virtual-link" as it relates to opsf, I think of it in
> terms of being a tunnel.  Also, short of being able to use a virtual-link,
> tunnel is what's recommended to maintain connectivity for any non-area0
> connected areas.

Nigel, you're making me grind my teeth. A virtual link is NOT a tunnel. Who
started the "tunnel" idea? Even Moy backed away from the use of the term
"tunnel" in his second book. :->

> Here's a excerpt from rfc 2328 which describes a virtual link.
>
> 12.4.1.3.  Describing virtual links
>
>                 For virtual links, a link description is added to the
>                 router-LSA only when the virtual neighbor is fully
>                 adjacent. In this case, add a Type 4 link (virtual link)
>                 with Link ID set to the Router ID of the virtual
>                 neighbor, Link Data set to the IP interface address
>                 associated with the virtual link and cost set to the
>                 cost calculated for the virtual link during the routing
>                 table calculation (see Section 15).
>

> And then this excerpt from section 15..
>
> The virtual link is treated as if it were an unnumbered point-to-point
> network belonging to the backbone and joining the two area border routers.
> An attempt is made to establish an adjacency over the virtual link.  When
> this adjacency is established, the virtual link will be included in
backbone
> router-LSAs, and OSPF packets pertaining to the backbone area will flow
over
> the adjacency.  Such an adjacency has been referred to in this document as
> "virtual adjacency".

It occurs to me that most of us think / are told that a virtual link is in
area 0. I can't remember all the stuff I've read about this over the years.
This recent observation tells me that the virtual link is an odd animal that
is really part of the transit area. It doesn't quite follow the other OSPF
rules.

I know what the VL is supposed to do. It links the non adjacent area
directly to area 0. It would "seem" reasonable that the link would have to
be area 0. Judging from the workings of authentication, it would appear that
on Cisco routers that the link is treated as part of the transit area.

> So as you noted it would be safe to say that a virtual-link is governed by
> the termination points of it's unnumbered p-2-p links.  So where your
> transit-area uses MD5 authentication so must your virtual-link.
>
> Alex Zinin's Cisco IP Routing [pg. 489] clearly states that the
virtual-link
> always belongs to the backbone.  In saying this, the characteristics of
the
> transit area to identify the peering ABR and then receive
> packets(encrypted/decrypted) would be the only things that associates the
> virtual-link to the transit area.

It wouldn't be the first time that someone was incorrect about the way
things really work versus the way it appears they work. Recall my statement
above. The virtual link is NOT a tunnel. It operates solely based on the
presense of the V-bit in the OSPF header. I imagine that the router code is
such that it passes packets based on the presence of the V-bit. The router
code has to base it's operation on SOMETHING in the OSPF header. So when it
comes to authentication, Cisco router code determines the need for
authentication based on the various values of the headers involved.

After all, there's nothing in the RFC that requires that authentication work
in a certain manner.

Someone asked me off line about how the Lab proctors might grade this kind
of task. The answer of course is "who knows?" All you're given is a
percentage of the general section. The key is understanding how to make it
work without spending too much time "trying things"