I've outgrown the SIIG 4-port serial board I currently have, and am looking
at getting a Livingston/Lucent Portmaster 2-series as a terminal server for
my lab.

The Portmasters seem to be a pretty good deal vs. a 2511.  30 port models
can be had on eBay in the $150-200 range, and you can get a 30-port
refurbished one with support, warranty and current software from
portmasters.com for about $300 (they even sell NEW 10 port ones for $190).

This is a lot less than 2511s have been going for on eBay recently
($350-$450), but I don't want to buy a Portmaster and *then* find out that
I'm going to have problems getting it to work.

I've also looked into other brands, but have read bad things about trying to
use older Xyplex gear for a Cisco lab, and the used Digi/Adtran/Cyclades
terminal servers are as much or more than a 2511.

Anyone have experiences/opinions to share?

Thanks,
Jonathan