""Peter van Oene""  wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> At 07:31 PM 3/18/2003 +0000, Priscilla Oppenheimer wrote:
> >Maccubbin, Duncan wrote:
> > >
> > > How is the industry supposed to keep up with this??
> >
> >What's the issue? Not sure I'm seeing your point. What's wrong with Cisco
> >announcing that their product received some sort of certificaton?
>
> Exactly.. I think the poster mistook the possibly ambiguous announcement
as
> yet another CCXX cert.
>
> >Now, if you were concerned that Cisco has too many ways for people to get
> >certified and that the situation is getting out of hand, I might agree.
>
> I really am surprised at how many folks pour their heart/money into
getting
> one after another.   I'm also amazed at how many folks will try and devote
> a good portion of interview time to showing me their various certificates.
> After the first couple I pretty much grasp that you have enough short term
> memory to get through a multiple choice exam and we should really get back
> to talking about technologies.
>
> Cisco makes big bucks on these certifications.  The recert requirements
> create a beautiful residual revenue stream making this business unit very
> attractive internally to Cisco.  Since they doubled the cost of the CCIE
> recert, purely for profit, I have decided to let my certification lapse vs
> give in to this obvious cash grab.  Kudos to Cisco for making their VAR
> channels one of their more lucrative revenue sources.

The cycle historically runs such that as the demand ( people seeking
certification ) peaks the value of the cert has already begun its decline.
Coincidentally, there is a move to a new technology that blows away the old
one. Witness Novell. ( OK so there aren't a lot of examples here )

But I really do have to wonder if technology is changing such that certs of
any kind are less relevant.

A long time ago, in a galaxy far away, Isaac Azimov wrote a short story
about a society in which everyone certified in some technology or other, and
when that technology changed, people could not find work. ( IIRC there were
other aspects to the story as well, but that's an aside )

So, Peter, Howard, Priscilla, Dave, and anyone else - what's sneaking down
the pipe? Or are things becoming such that no human intervention is
required?