Robert
   The Cisco Academy program does a very good job of preparing instructors
(and students) for CCNA.  I had 15 years in data comm and networking before
going for CCAI/CCNA, and had to study quite a bit to get the Cisco view of
the world.  Of course IOS commands are key (and becoming more important with
sims) but many of the questions require students to compare/contrast
multiple technologies or concepts.
   If nothing else, look for a local Cisco academy program (at a junior
college probably) and sign up for a class.  Once signed up, you have access
to *ALL* of the material (all four semesters).  The books are excellent
references, but the "e-sims" are limited.  Invest in either routers or a
full RouterSim.   If you plan to teach, you'll need a stack of routers
anyway (bill them to your company).  Build and troubleshoot the "Semester 2
lab" (five routers, plus hubs and switches), and you'll be ready to go.
    Good Luck.  I took the CCNA after teaching 3 semesters (out of 4) plus
studied the rest, and got 975 (out of 1000) on the CCNA exam.

Good Luck,  Don