I'll guess and say this is an accident prevention mechanism.  Suppose
you have two egress points and each advertises a default.  If the link
from one of these egress devices to its peer fails, might the eBGP
session
remain up, but follow the default through the other egress location?
You wouldn't want this eBGP session to stay up, but it might if you
allow
eBGP to follow a default.