Thanks for the replies so far...
Hmm, Well, actually becuase BGP uses TCP 179 is can traverse non-BGP
speakers to a router that does speak BGP ( Just like TFTP'ing to another
router)
I put the config I was testing below. The config works, BGP runs everyone is
happy when I have a specific route to the opposite side peer's Loopback
address.

ip route 172.16.10.1 255.255.255.255 192.168.33.2

but if I remove that and install

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.33.2

then BGP breaks. I don't understand why. There is no IGP. Both routes point
to exactly the same place.

conf t
router bgp 65500
no synchronization
bgp log-neighbor-changes
network 192.168.47.0
network 192.168.55.0
aggregate-address 192.168.0.0 255.255.0.0
neighbor 172.16.10.1 remote-as 65555
neighbor 172.16.10.1 ebgp-multihop5
neighbor 172.16.10.1 update-source Loopback0
neighbor 172.16.10.1 version 4
neighbor 172.16.10.1 soft-reconfiguration inbound
neighbor 172.16.10.1 password 7 140705191C117B3821
neighbor 172.16.10.1 filter-list 3 in
neighbor 172.16.10.1 filter-list 4 out